As you get older three things happen.Norman Wisdom
The first is your memory goes,
and I can’t remember the other two.
Norman Wisdom has always had a witty take on life, and it showed in his work. No matter which way we take it, loss of memory has always been a point of concern for many. From exercising your brain, ingesting memory-enhancing meds to performing medically-defying yoga poses, you would have tried your hand at any and everything possible to get those grey cells going on 5th gear.
Have a test due? Get better at studies. Stammering before your boss? Recall the minutes from a meeting quickly. Freezing up on stage? Remember your lines with ease.
We all admire those ‘chosen ones’ who can reel off long extracts of paragraphs and poems with seemingly no effort. It is relatively easy to have a trained and great memory; we just need to keep a few aspects in mind. The two crucial aspects are:
- Creativity: Never neglect nor underestimate this vital aspect of your memory. You should motivate yourself to be creative no matter the subject. Employing a dull and dry way of reading something and then forgetting soon after, will not take you far. And an important thing to note, young students must not learn any matter by simply mugging up. This way, though you may learn quickly, you will forget it soon after. Always aim to be innovative and creative when it comes to your memory.
- Observation: Do you notice your wife’s/mother’s hand daily? Stumped! Surprised at this question. I wonder if you have observed this; which bracelet did she wear last and which colour? This is Observation. An individual with a good observation is the one who will remember stuff quicker. Try doing this – Ask anyone the time; after they answer, immediately ask how many seconds were there. One in a thousand will give you the correct answer despite the fact that he/she had seen the watch just a few moments earlier.
SOME MEMORY ENHANCEMENT TIPS:
- Keen Observation
- Have Clarity
- Repetition (Within 8 hours)
- Understand and write in your own words
- Cultivate a long term permanent memory
- Register the subject in your mind
- Always be positive
- Have TOTAL FOCUS; don’t get distracted
- Maintain a proper diet
- Get sufficient sleep
Train your mind with these simple tips and persist in practicing daily to improve your memory. Follow my Brain-Booster series to learn more about enhancing your memory and math skills.
About the Writer: Minoo Jokhi is a Mathemagician cum Memory Development Trainer based in Mumbai, India. He trains people of all ages right from 4 to 80 years of age and shows them how to increase their Memory-Power and once and for all shatter the myth that memory is neither good nor bad but in reality, is trained or untrained. Readers can contact him via email on email@example.com or follow him on http://www.minoojokhi.in/
Disclaimer: All views and opinions expressed in The Brew View – our opinion section – are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of TheBrew.ae, the company, or any of its members.