Maintaining a healthy smile is a vital part of overall health and well-being. It goes further than just the aesthetic benefits. Our mouth can harbour a range of bacteria, which if left to fester, can cause a variety of health issues.
Dental Care is self-care. Everyone should know that prioritizing your oral health isn’t cosmetic or frivolous, it’s a way of looking out for your total health. Investing in a healthier smile has an important impact on oneself. It is important to make your oral hygiene a priority.
I always share these tips with my patients, but I believe it’s important for everyone to know!
- Seeing your dentist at least once every year is a good start to improving your oral health.
- Stay Hydrated – Drink Up: Staying well-hydrated is important for our entire body. Our systems need water to function effectively, including our mouths. Letting the mouth dry invites bacteria, which leads to decay and cavity formation. Bad breath can be the result of a dry mouth. Let’s get back to basics, make sure to drink 3 litres of water a day.
- Invest in straightening your teeth: Straight teeth provide more than a great smile. More than aesthetic, having teeth straight can benefit you in many ways. Having crowded teeth could make it hard to brush effectively, with food getting lodged between them.
- See an Orthodontist: An improper bite is unlikely to beget acute pain but is very likely to beget long-term problems to the teeth and gums, and possibly the jaw joints.
Here are Dr. Reji’s recommendations for patients who would consider straightening their teeth with Invisalign
Orthodontics has evolved, where orthodontists like us can treat more efficiently, effectively, and comfortably than ever before, thanks to constant advances in technology!
Invisalign is an effective way to correct most Orthodontic issues, no doubt about that. However, if you are patient planning to do Invisalign. Here are a few tips to consider before doing Invisalign.
- Look for an Orthodontist who has proven experience. Invisalign clear aligner is an orthodontic system that prides itself on a doctor-directed treatment. With that, having an Orthodontist specifically focused on planning and providing Invisalign treatments to a high standard would give the best result.
- Always be clear with the timeline of the treatment. It may take 6 months or more. Of course, this all depends on each case. If your teeth are just slightly misaligned, or if there are just one or two teeth out of place, then it might last less than a few months. Likewise, if your teeth aren’t in great shape, they can last longer.
- Invisalign can help almost every age. Just like other Orthodontic treatments, Invisalign aligners are great for everyone from kids, and teenagers, to seniors. Don’t let your age stop you from that straight smile that you’ve always wanted.
Most importantly, Invisalign aligners offer a great way to align your teeth without any pain and invasive procedures. Make sure to consider Invisalign, as you will surely appreciate the experience!
This article is contributed by Dr. Reji Moideen, Medical Director, Specialist Orthodontist & Invisalign Specialist.
Disclaimer: All views and opinions expressed in The Brew Opinion – our opinion section – are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of TheBrew.ae, the company, or any of its members