Renowned late American Professor Jess Lair had correctly stated regarding children: “Children are not things to be moulded, but are people to be unfolded.” These words are really correct and a child is definitely God’s greatest gift mothers and fathers should be encouraging and loving to their children and handle them with love and care and groom them well. And there will be kids who will have some learning disorders; some will have Dyslexia.
Dyslexia is a general term for disorders that involve difficulty learning to read and interpret words, letters, and symbols but do not affect general intelligence. A Dyslexic Kid can find difficulty in learning to read; saying spelling and expressing something in writing though they are intelligent, loving, sincere and hardworking kids; they undergo mental trauma and grief when subjected to the fun by their peers for their learning difficulty. Friends; in so many years of training all kinds of students in my Memory Development and Maths Classes; I have come across many children who have problems and prolonged grasping abilities. Why others; I myself was a very slow learner, especially in Maths and other subjects learning for the better part of my school life till about 14/15 years age. Never let the child think negatively.
Here are 7 tips to dealing with Dyslexia: Dyslexia children management tips
- Give the child his/her’s friend or peer’s contact number, so that they can connect with each other in case of any doubts they have.
- The class should be such that all students should be supportive of each other so that slow learners can freely ask for support when needed.
- Avoid telling verbally; write down all the classroom activities. Dyslexia children management tips
- Avoid telling such children to read loudly as they could at times misread words; skip them and this causes them embarrassment.
- Avoid using words like lazy or incompetent with such students as they have to work really hard compared to others and they have difficulty staying focused when they read, write or are talking or listening.
- L-Shaped Cards are available for children for framing sections of their book pages and be more focused.
- In Mathematics some words that need to be understood well include the 4 signs of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Do not let the child unnecessary use a calculator; they must not be over-dependent on it. It is imperative to improve the child’s mental ability to calculate.
About the writer: Minoo Jokhi is a Mathemagician cum Memory Development Trainer based in Mumbai, India. He trains people of all ages right from 4 to 80 years of age and shows them how to increase their Memory-Power and once and for all shatter the myth that memory is neither good nor bad but in reality, is trained or untrained. Readers can contact him via email at [email protected] or follow him at http://www.minoojokhi.in/